RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

would like to help

This discussion is connected to the gegl-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

would like to help Florian Rivoal 21 Jun 16:43
  would like to help Øyvind Kolås 23 Jun 15:38
would like to help Florent Monnier (aka Blue Prawn) 23 Jun 19:09
would like to help Sven Neumann 27 Jun 08:55
  would like to help Florent Monnier 28 Jun 18:04
Florian Rivoal
2006-06-21 16:43:50 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

would like to help

Hi all.

I am a happy free software user, and a developper in my daily job, but until now, I never contributed anything back to the comunity. While I am happy about most things in the GNOME/GNU/linux world, there are still a few things which I'd like to see improved. But instead of just waiting for nice people out there to do the things I want, I figured out I might as well try to help.

I'd really like a gegl-powered gimp, and I believe gegl can be usefull even outside the context of the gimp. As the home page of gegl's website kindly invites anyone intrested to join, I think this may be a fine place to start contributing to the Great World of Free Software :)

In a few lines, here is a summary of my software related skills. Not all will be relevant to GEGL, but here they are anyway.

* confortable in: - imperative programming and object programming - the "common" languages (C, C++, Java) * some (small) experience in:
- image processing
- i18n (specificaly: issues related to japanese text hanlding and typography)
- programming in constrained environements (embeded) * knowledge (but limited experience) in: - functional programming, and related languages (lisp, ocaml) - multithread programs
- distributed programs
- OS theory (kernel stuff)
- compiler desing
* Good knowledge from a user (non-developer) point of view in: - Image processing ( photo edition ) - GNU/Linux (favorite D.E.: Gnome, favorite distro: gentoo)

Unfortunately, I must admit I have no experience in hacking software in the GNU / linux / GNOME / ... world, and therefore know close to nothing (beside mere existance) when it comes to many common things like: - Glib / ... / name-your-favorite-free-lib-here - auto-tools
- gettext

Do you think I might be of some help around here? I will certainly require a bit of hand-holding in the begining, but I believe I am a reasonably fast learner, so hopefully I won't be a burden for too long ;)

Florian RIVOAL

Øyvind Kolås
2006-06-23 15:38:53 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

would like to help

On 6/21/06, Florian Rivoal wrote:

Unfortunately, I must admit I have no experience in hacking software in the GNU / linux / GNOME / ... world, and therefore know close to nothing (beside mere existance) when it comes to many common things like: - Glib / ... / name-your-favorite-free-lib-here - auto-tools
- gettext

Do you think I might be of some help around here? I will certainly require a bit of hand-holding in the begining, but I believe I am a reasonably fast learner, so hopefully I won't be a burden for too long ;)

The first question would be whether you've succesfully checked babl/gegl/gegl-demo out of CVS, and built them.

There are some tasks that needs to be done in the TODO file in gegl CVS, this list is not complete in any way, but it lists some of the major things still missing. The website and documentation needs to be cleaned up and brought in sync with the state that gegl CVS currently is in.

/Øyvind K.

Florent Monnier (aka Blue Prawn)
2006-06-23 19:09:50 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

would like to help

Salut Florian, Pippin,

The first question would be whether you've succesfully checked babl/gegl/gegl-demo out of CVS, and built them.

There are some tasks that needs to be done in the TODO file in gegl CVS, this list is not complete in any way, but it lists some of the major things still missing. The website and documentation needs to be cleaned up and brought in sync with the state that gegl CVS currently is in.

IMHO the documentation is indeed an important part, since there are often people coming here willing to help, but which get lost, or don't understand what's involved. It seems there are even gimp developers arround too who don't understand the "thing" ;-) so all this maybe explains why gegl germinates for so long. This said is not to bother the active gegl developers (I am really gratfull to them for their work), but maybe the current design is not the best? What I mean is, as it is said in the GNU recommendations : the source of a free software have to be simple, this way the more people will be able to understand it, and contribute to it. I am not a experienced programmer at all, so maybe what I'm saying is stupid I don't know... I would be intersted though to know what all the people on this list think about this.

Sven Neumann
2006-06-27 08:55:40 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

would like to help

Hi,

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 19:09 +0200, Florent Monnier (aka Blue Prawn) wrote:

IMHO the documentation is indeed an important part, since there are often people coming here willing to help, but which get lost, or don't understand what's involved. It seems there are even gimp developers arround too who don't understand the "thing" ;-) so all this maybe explains why gegl germinates for so long. This said is not to bother the active gegl developers (I am really gratfull to them for their work), but maybe the current design is not the best? What I mean is, as it is said in the GNU recommendations : the source of a free software have to be simple, this way the more people will be able to understand it, and contribute to it.

I don't think the idea behind GEGL could be any simpler and the current implementation design doesn't seem to be needlessly complex. Your accusation is based on wrong assumptions.

Sven

Florent Monnier
2006-06-28 18:04:35 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

would like to help

Hi Sven,

I don't think the idea behind GEGL could be any simpler and the current implementation design doesn't seem to be needlessly complex. Your accusation is based on wrong assumptions.

I am so sorry that it had sounds like an accusation. Please excuse me. The fact is that I am not a C programmer and that I don't understand nothing in the GEGL source yet. (while at the opposite the imgeMagick's src is quite simple to jump in)

Though what I see is that sometimes there are people coming here saying that they are willing to contribute, but finaly they don't go further... Perhaps there are other explanations, it is really possible.

If I thought that there was excessive complexity, maybe this comes from that I have a libMagick user point of view. And maybe gegl has more hiher ambitions, in order to bring satisfaction to all the wishes of the Gimp users ;-)

Well, i want to thank you for having clarify my doubts on that question. if I was wondering on this question and querying to know the opinion of others, it was not to bother you, I do believe in your project and I wish you success for it ! :-)

Best wishes, Florent