Sign up now! · Forgot password?
RSS/Atom feed identi.ca Twitter

help with git

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

help with git Marco Ciampa 19 Apr 17:17
  help with git julien 19 Apr 21:55
   help with git julien 20 Apr 07:30
    help with git Ulf-D. Ehlert 20 Apr 12:54
     help with git Roman Joost 20 Apr 13:20
      help with git Ulf-D. Ehlert 27 Apr 13:27
       help with git Roman Joost 27 Apr 14:06
        help with git Ulf-D. Ehlert 29 Apr 14:02
  help with git Ulf-D. Ehlert 21 Apr 12:44
   help with git Marco Ciampa 21 Apr 22:54
Marco Ciampa
2009-04-19 17:17:52 UTC (about 5 years ago)

help with git

I've successfully 'cloned' the gimp-help-2 repo in my brand-new portable. Now, done the configure/make steps I see as modified with 'git status' all po/it/* files.

I see this:

$git status # On branch master
# Changed but not updated:
# (use "git add ..." to update what will be committed) #
# modified: po/it/appendix.po
# modified: po/it/concepts.po
# modified: po/it/dialogs.po
# modified: po/it/filters.po
# modified: po/it/filters/alpha-to-logo.po # modified: po/it/filters/animation.po # modified: po/it/filters/artistic.po # modified: po/it/filters/blur.po
# modified: po/it/filters/combine.po # modified: po/it/filters/decor.po # modified: po/it/filters/distort.po # modified: po/it/filters/edge-detect.po # modified: po/it/filters/enhance.po # modified: po/it/filters/generic.po # modified: po/it/filters/light_effects.po # modified: po/it/filters/map.po
# modified: po/it/filters/noise.po # modified: po/it/filters/render.po # modified: po/it/filters/web.po
# modified: po/it/gimp.po
# modified: po/it/glossary.po
# modified: po/it/introduction.po
# modified: po/it/menus.po
# modified: po/it/menus/colors.po
# modified: po/it/menus/colors/auto.po # modified: po/it/menus/colors/components.po # modified: po/it/menus/colors/info.po # modified: po/it/menus/colors/map.po # modified: po/it/menus/edit.po
# modified: po/it/menus/file.po
# modified: po/it/menus/help.po
# modified: po/it/menus/image.po
# modified: po/it/menus/layer.po
# modified: po/it/menus/select.po
# modified: po/it/menus/view.po
# modified: po/it/preface.po
# modified: po/it/toolbox.po
# modified: po/it/tutorial.po
# modified: po/it/using.po
# modified: po/it/using/preferences.po #
# Untracked files:
# (use "git add ..." to include in what will be committed) #
# .xml2po.mo
# AUTHORS
no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

But I haven't changed anything and I do not want to commit some timestamp change.

What can I do?

TIA

julien
2009-04-19 21:55:59 UTC (about 5 years ago)

help with git

Hi,

I cloned three times, and after running ./autogen.sh, I never had your problem...

Julien

I've successfully 'cloned' the gimp-help-2 repo in my brand-new portable. Now, done the configure/make steps I see as modified with 'git status' all po/it/* files.

julien
2009-04-20 07:30:56 UTC (about 5 years ago)

help with git

Hi,

I cloned three times, and after running ./autogen.sh, I never had your problem...

because I have not used 'make pot' up yet. I only pushed copy-pasted ready files from my svn folder to the Git folder.

I think this problem is due to 'make pot' that updates pot revision dates in all pot files.

Julien

Ulf-D. Ehlert
2009-04-20 12:54:28 UTC (about 5 years ago)

help with git

julien (Montag, 20. April 2009, 07:31):

I think this problem is due to 'make pot' that updates pot revision dates in all pot files.

We can add a 'touch -r srcfile potfile' to prevent 'make' updating the po files.

According to the autoconf manual, this may lead to "timestamp truncation problems" on some "ancient" systems, but I think we should ignore this until somebody reports a problem.

Ulf

PS: I will (mis)use the doap file as a trainings object for learning git. :-| @Roman: shouldn't the list of maintainers in the the doap file be the same as in MAINTAINERS?

Roman Joost
2009-04-20 13:20:49 UTC (about 5 years ago)

help with git

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:54:28PM +0200, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:

julien (Montag, 20. April 2009, 07:31):

I think this problem is due to 'make pot' that updates pot revision dates in all pot files.

We can add a 'touch -r srcfile potfile' to prevent 'make' updating the po files.

According to the autoconf manual, this may lead to "timestamp truncation problems" on some "ancient" systems, but I think we should ignore this until somebody reports a problem.

Ulf

PS: I will (mis)use the doap file as a trainings object for learning git. :-| @Roman: shouldn't the list of maintainers in the the doap file be the same as in MAINTAINERS?

I actually thought the the doap file would be now *the* compulsory file for managing maintainers. Thats why I added more than me to the doap file as a maintainer.

Appearently that is not the case. If you really need to, update the MAINTAINERS file. I reckon it'll go away in the future...

Cheers,

Ulf-D. Ehlert
2009-04-21 12:44:10 UTC (about 5 years ago)

help with git

Marco Ciampa (Sonntag, 19. April 2009, 17:17):

$git status
# On branch master
# Changed but not updated:
# (use "git add ..." to update what will be committed) #
# modified: po/it/appendix.po
# modified: po/it/concepts.po

[...]

But I haven't changed anything and I do not want to commit some timestamp change.

Try 'git checkout po/it' (don't know if it works recursively, otherwise use "find po/it -name '*.po' | xargs git checkout"), this should revert any changes and touch the po files, so that pot files are newer than src files and po files are newer than pot files, which should make 'make' happy again.

Bye,
Ulf

Marco Ciampa
2009-04-21 22:54:12 UTC (about 5 years ago)

help with git

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:44:10PM +0200, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:

Marco Ciampa (Sonntag, 19. April 2009, 17:17):

$git status
# On branch master
# Changed but not updated:
# (use "git add ..." to update what will be committed) #
# modified: po/it/appendix.po
# modified: po/it/concepts.po

[...]

But I haven't changed anything and I do not want to commit some timestamp change.

Try 'git checkout po/it' (don't know if it works recursively, otherwise use "find po/it -name '*.po' | xargs git checkout"), this should revert any changes and touch the po files, so that pot files are newer than src files and po files are newer than pot files, which should make 'make' happy again.

Bye,
Ulf

Thank you Ulf, I've erased the entire local repository and re-make-d it. Now 'make' work as expected, many thanks again!

bye

Ulf-D. Ehlert
2009-04-27 13:27:35 UTC (almost 5 years ago)

help with git

Roman Joost (Montag, 20. April 2009, 13:20):

I actually thought the the doap file would be now *the* compulsory file for managing maintainers. Thats why I added more than me to the doap file as a maintainer.

Appearently that is not the case.

"DOAP is primarily intended for computer consumption..."

If you really need to, update the MAINTAINERS file. I reckon it'll go away in the future...

Why? It's a useful information at a prominent place, while nobody will read 'gimp-help-2.doap'.

Ulf

Roman Joost
2009-04-27 14:06:19 UTC (almost 5 years ago)

help with git

Hi Ulf,

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 01:27:35PM +0200, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:

Roman Joost (Montag, 20. April 2009, 13:20):

I actually thought the the doap file would be now *the* compulsory file for managing maintainers. Thats why I added more than me to the doap file as a maintainer.

Appearently that is not the case.

"DOAP is primarily intended for computer consumption..."

My assumption was based on this mail:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gnome-infrastructure@gnome.org/msg00894.html

Now, because that's already a year old, things must have been changed already ...

If you really need to, update the MAINTAINERS file. I reckon it'll go away in the future...

Why? It's a useful information at a prominent place, while nobody will read 'gimp-help-2.doap'.

I just saw both files read by the gnome infrastructure, not really by people.

Cheers,

Ulf-D. Ehlert
2009-04-29 14:02:00 UTC (almost 5 years ago)

help with git

Roman Joost (Montag, 27. April 2009, 14:06):

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 01:27:35PM +0200, Ulf-D. Ehlert wrote:

"DOAP is primarily intended for computer consumption..."

My assumption was based on this mail:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gnome-infrastructure@gnome.org/msg00894.h tml

An interesting idea mentioned in that thread was generating MAINTAINERS and AUTHORS from the doap file.

Ulf