RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[Dblatex-users] problems building pdf for GIMP manual

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

optkvizutfn8yfof@localhost 07 Oct 20:29
  [Dblatex-users] problems building pdf for GIMP manual Axel Wernicke 20 Dec 21:36
   [Dblatex-users] problems building pdf for GIMP manual Roman Joost 22 Dec 10:48
831C3DD0-40BE-4853-B8FC-07E... 07 Oct 20:29
optktttkntn8yfof@localhost 07 Oct 20:29
3ADEF7BF-16A6-4078-B6AC-2E0... 07 Oct 20:29
optkzjcso9n8yfof@localhost 07 Oct 20:29
  [Dblatex-users] problems building pdf for GIMP manual Axel Wernicke 23 Dec 00:54
   [Dblatex-users] problems building pdf for GIMP manual Marco Ciampa 23 Dec 02:57
    [Dblatex-users] problems building pdf for GIMP manual Axel Wernicke 23 Dec 11:38
     [Dblatex-users] problems building pdf for GIMP manual Marco Ciampa 26 Dec 03:07
      [Dblatex-users] problems building pdf for GIMP manual Roman Joost 08 Jan 13:44
       [Dblatex-users] problems building pdf for GIMP manual Marco Ciampa 08 Jan 16:44
Axel Wernicke
2006-12-20 21:36:31 UTC (over 17 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi,

thanks for the very detailed list of problems. I'll have a more detailed look into each of them in the next couple of days. Only short comments are therefor added in between your lines right now.

Am 20.12.2006 um 20:56 schrieb benoit.guillon:

Your document is really huge (450p without images) and therefore not easy to debug. Here is a summary of the troubles I found. Some are dblatex bugs (that I'll fix) but there are things that dblatex cannot handle easily or are wrong in the file. I list in the order I found them.

Yep it is pretty large, sorry for that. Up to now we built the pdf with db2latex, but that is dead by now?!

Mediaobjectco Calspair Format:
------------------------------
According to TDG the calspair format in the file is wrong: line 2180:

I'll doublecheck that issue in the next couple of days.

TDG says:

CALSPair

The coordinates are expressed using the semantics of the CALS graphic attributes. The format of the coordinates is ?x1,y1 x2,y2?. This identifies a rectangle with the lower-left corner at (x1,y1) and the upper-right corner at (x2,y2). The X and Y coordinates are integers in the range 0 to 10000; they express a percentage of the total distance from 0.00 to 100.00%. The lower-left corner is (0,0).

Except for the first one, the others don't respect the format. Moreover I guess that the scale is not respected since it means 2.29%,0.37% 2.47%,0.21% which is very small.

Which tool do you use to render these mediaobject callouts?

OK, I never cared for the areaspec elements up to now. I guess I have to now.

Index UTF-8 mess:
-----------------
line 78664:
Rozost??it</
primary>

Definitely a dblatex bug, that currently cannot handle non-ascii characters in .

Puh, so we are not the only ones making mistakes :)

Cyrillic Characters?
--------------------
Are there really some cyrillic characters in the file? At least it is translated like this, and I don't know how to render them. A workaround would be to simply ignore them (or replace them by simple characters.

This could be very well. The manual is written for a dozen languages. Each section of the manual is contained as multi language section in one file. So the structure is something like

FOO FOO
FOO

These files are included into one big multi language xml file and then preprocessed into language specific xml files. So the original section files contain english, german, russion, korean, chinese and lots of other languages. Everything is (should be) UTF8 encoded. As soon as there is a wrong lang attribut, some cyrillic characters could slip into the en version...

line 103591:

This filter is found in the image window menu under
Filters
Map
?????????????????????????? ??? ?????????

Anchor in Glossterm:
--------------------
line 114237:

BMP

A buggy thing when anchors are in a glossterm. Must be fixed.

I've to admit, that looks awesome. uh, I guess it's valid docbook anyways?

Non ascii characters in programlistings: ---------------------------------------- This is the most annoying thing, since I don't how it can be fixed. A programlisting is a verbatim environment where the characters are not escaped. Even if I apply a patch so that the text is translated, these characters are converted to latex macros (except the iso-latin1 character range) that cannot be executed easily in the verbatim environment. BTW, such formulas shouldn't be put in programlistings, but rather in mathematical equations.

line 116327:

R = T ?? B ?? 255

OK, that should be no problem to avoid. IIRC one of our writers evens started to put these into mathematic equations. @romanofski: didn't you?

In conclusion:

* Will be fixed: - UTF-8 indexterms
- glossterm anchors

fine.

* What to do with cyrillic chars?

hmm, in the case of the en version of the book they might be just plain wrong in there, but considering that there is a whole document with some hundred pages, we should find a solution. Any chance?

* Calspair format should be changed in the source.

* Cannot fix non-ascii chars in verbatim environment. I suggest to replace them by equations in your case.

Agreed. These both are in our field.

What do you think?

I'll see, that we can do our homework in time.

Thanks again for the great support.

Regards, lexA

Regards,
BG

- ---
Remember: There are only two tools in life. WD-40, for when something doesn't move, and should, and Duct Tape, for when something is moving and it shouldn't.
So does the universe explode if you spray duct tape with WD-40?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (Darwin)

iD8DBQFFiZ7PR9mXLVsAbiQRAp9/AKCgjclnIzNCDLvf+FrgCSkFCOenvQCg9egK SiJhVvjAe0Rby82W+LR/84Q=
=czUv
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Roman Joost
2006-12-22 10:48:37 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hey hey,

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 09:36:31PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

Non ascii characters in programlistings: ---------------------------------------- This is the most annoying thing, since I don't how it can be fixed. A programlisting is a verbatim environment where the characters are not escaped. Even if I apply a patch so that the text is translated, these characters are converted to latex macros (except the iso-latin1 character range) that cannot be executed easily in the verbatim environment. BTW, such formulas shouldn't be put in programlistings, but rather in mathematical equations.

line 116327:

R = T ???? B ?? 255

OK, that should be no problem to avoid. IIRC one of our writers evens started to put these into mathematic equations. @romanofski: didn't you?

Yeah - that should be an equation. And as far as I remember correctly, that would work very well...

hmm, in the case of the en version of the book they might be just plain wrong in there, but considering that there is a whole document with some hundred pages, we should find a solution. Any chance?

Actually we may consider to use the ODF support for that part of our manual. I tried to make PDFs out of the ODF files for chinese, korean and russian. It works very well. Though the quality of the PDF is not as good as the LaTeX output.

Greetings,

Axel Wernicke
2006-12-23 00:54:32 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi Benoit,

Am 23.12.2006 um 00:54 schrieb benoit.guillon:

Hi,

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:56:08 +0100, benoit.guillon wrote:

In conclusion:

* Will be fixed: - UTF-8 indexterms
- glossterm anchors

Should be fixed in 0.2.2

Great, if already recognised the other two mails sent by you to the lists.
- -> you see, I'm watching closely :)

With 0.2.2, these characters are handled when latex.unicode.use is set to 1. Please note that the feature is experimental (I've grabbed some code from passivetex, no need to reinvent the wheel :-).

well, the whole pdf creation for the gimp manual is proclaimed to be experimental. I'll keep you up to date about the results.

* Calspair format should be changed in the source.

I've looked at the current PDF files, and the callout numbers are directly in the images, explaining why the document doesn't care about valid coordinates.

I guess I should add a parameter to be able to hide the numbers made by dblatex (if not, there will be each number twice). Note that db2latex also added the callout numbers (if you look carefully the bottom left of the images). What do you think?

I think, that I should take a moment to have a closer look, specially to the calspair / callout "issues" (meaning usage in the gimp manual) :)

Thanks so far. I'm pretty sure I'll have the time to do a GIMP-manual build with the new dblatex version before the sun rises again (in germany)

Greetins, lexA

Regards,
BG

- ---
Remember: There are only two tools in life. WD-40, for when something doesn't move, and should, and Duct Tape, for when something is moving and it shouldn't.
So does the universe explode if you spray duct tape with WD-40?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (Darwin)

iD8DBQFFjHA6R9mXLVsAbiQRAuYZAKDgoUR+/rWJyFia54TnRNZIlc595gCghnfE CAKzsJrxJ8zj1KvO8sM6MjE=
=jhgd
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Marco Ciampa
2006-12-23 02:57:09 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 12:54:32AM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote: [..]

Thanks so far. I'm pretty sure I'll have the time to do a GIMP-manual build with the new dblatex version before the sun rises again (in germany)

Well done! So, if I'm right, whenever the pdf process is complete you will tell us to update the "web" section so to update the page and mbytes numbers on the download page or is a thing that you want to do by yourself?

TIA

Axel Wernicke
2006-12-23 11:38:13 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi Marco,

is updating the website and the pdf files in there something you can do? Up to now Roman did that for me always, but I won't hurt to have a backup here :)

And yes, as soon as there is something to be worth showing, I'll let you know...

Merry christmas to you all!

lexA

Am 23.12.2006 um 02:57 schrieb Marco Ciampa:

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 12:54:32AM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote: [..]

Well done! So, if I'm right, whenever the pdf process is complete you will
tell us to update the "web" section so to update the page and mbytes numbers
on the download page or is a thing that you want to do by yourself?

TIA

Marco Ciampa
2006-12-26 03:07:27 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Sorry for replying late (Christmas...)

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 11:38:13AM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

Hi Marco,

is updating the website and the pdf files in there something you can do?

I can update the website source code and compile the pdf files but not update the web site since (I think) there should be a password that I do not have. And I even do not know how to do it...

Up to now Roman did that for me always, but I won't hurt to have a backup here :)

I can act as a human backup if you ask me to do so but I think that perhaps someother have to say something (the webmaster).

And yes, as soon as there is something to be worth showing, I'll let you know...

ok

TIA

Roman Joost
2007-01-08 13:44:28 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 03:07:27AM +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:

Hi Marco,

I can update the website source code and compile the pdf files but not update the web site since (I think) there should be a password that I do not have. And I even do not know how to do it...

Up to now Roman did that for me always, but I won't hurt to have a backup here :)

I can act as a human backup if you ask me to do so but I think that perhaps someother have to say something (the webmaster).

Yeh - I'm the currently only guy of the docs project who has access to wilber (wilber.gimp.org).

The updating of the our homepage worked very well so far (even with the PDFs), so I don't think we need more people with a login. Just send me the PDFs and I'll update the homepage. Although I've to say, that someone who cares about our homepage only would be much better.

Greetings,

Marco Ciampa
2007-01-08 16:44:21 UTC (about 17 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 01:44:28PM +0100, Roman Joost wrote:

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 03:07:27AM +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:

Hi Marco,

Yeh - I'm the currently only guy of the docs project who has access to wilber (wilber.gimp.org).

The updating of the our homepage worked very well so far (even with the PDFs), so I don't think we need more people with a login. Just send me the PDFs and I'll update the homepage.

I think that, if in the near future, the pdf creation process will be automatically handled by a better conversion tool like dblatex, the update of the site could be done more frequenlty (once in a month could suffice) and there should not be the need of a user driven upload of nationalized pdf files.

Although I've to say, that someone who cares about our homepage only would be much better.

Sorry, I'm actually looking for someone to improve the italian gimp site :-(

TIA