RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to get the authority for committing cvs?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to get the authority for committing cvs? In your heart.. 21 Sep 04:15
  How to get the authority for committing cvs? Marco Ciampa 21 Sep 04:38
  How to get the authority for committing cvs? Daniel Egger 21 Sep 04:51
   How to get the authority for committing cvs? In your heart.. 21 Sep 04:55
    How to get the authority for committing cvs? Daniel Egger 21 Sep 09:10
     How to get the authority for committing cvs? In your heart.. 21 Sep 18:59
      How to get the authority for committing cvs? Daniel Egger 22 Sep 10:02
   How to get the authority for committing cvs? julien 21 Sep 05:57
    How to get the authority for committing cvs? Daniel Egger 21 Sep 09:27
How to get the authority for committing cvs? William Skaggs 21 Sep 07:56
How to get the authority for committing cvs? William Skaggs 22 Sep 09:16
In your heart..
2006-09-21 04:15:08 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi

As my knowing, only some of the authors has the authority for committing cvs files. and others not, like me. so we send patch file and ask to commit it to them.

I'm not complaining. I understand the reason why only some has. Just curious. who has, and who doesn't have. and what does need to get the authority. 'cause I want to get it, so I'll try to learn, or get them. ^^;

Or I may tell someone who want and has them. plz, tell me. what does need to get the authority?

Marco Ciampa
2006-09-21 04:38:01 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 08:14:06PM +0900, In your heart.. wrote:

Hi

As my knowing, only some of the authors has the authority for committing cvs files. and others not, like me. so we send patch file and ask to commit it to them.

I'm not complaining. I understand the reason why only some has. Just curious. who has, and who doesn't have. and what does need to get the authority. 'cause I want to get it, so I'll try to learn, or get them. ^^;

Or I may tell someone who want and has them. plz, tell me. what does need to get the authority?

I think that there was not a common rule. Someone, like me, has gained a cvs access for some lucky circumstances.

Once upon the time, developers world was eden, cvs was not cripted and someone could gain easily write permission to all the gnome cvs for example.

Nowadays the world is changed a bit. New repository are single-project, closed and always cripted (see sourceforge or savannah for example) and people is more suspecious and keep people under observation for a while before opening the door of the source but your mileage may vary...

bye

Daniel Egger
2006-09-21 04:51:51 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 21.09.2006, at 13:14, In your heart.. wrote:

and what does need to get the authority. 'cause I want to get it, so I'll try to learn, or get them. ^^;

Deliver good work and show responsibility and it'll be easy to find a sponsor pushing your access.

Maybe you could start by using a real name for your mails and getting rid of the 3l33tish mail style.

Servus, Daniel

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: PGP.sig
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 186 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060921/3f39c230/PGP.bin

In your heart..
2006-09-21 04:55:55 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Maybe you could start by using a real name for your mails and getting rid of the 3l33tish mail style.

Daniel, what is 3I33tish mail style? I used the gmail by text mode.

julien
2006-09-21 05:57:25 UTC (over 17 years ago)

So, if you apply for a cvs account and does not get it, this means that your work is not good, that you are irresponsible and that you are so bad that nobody wants you to commit...

Julien

Daniel Egger a ?crit :

On 21.09.2006, at 13:14, In your heart.. wrote:

and what does need to get the authority. 'cause I want to get it, so I'll try to learn, or get them. ^^;

Deliver good work and show responsibility and it'll be easy to find a sponsor pushing your access.

Servus, Daniel

------------------------------------------------------------------------

William Skaggs
2006-09-21 07:56:30 UTC (over 17 years ago)

All it takes to get commit access to Gnome CVS is for the maintainer of your project to recommend you. In most cases this will happen if you submit good patches for a while and don't do anything that worries people.

In your case, the way you asked the question is already a little bit worrying, because the writing is careless and you don't use your real name. But that wouldn't be very hard to overcome.

Best wishes,

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Daniel Egger
2006-09-21 09:10:26 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 21.09.2006, at 13:55, In your heart.. wrote:

Daniel, what is 3I33tish mail style? I used the gmail by text mode.

Bill expressed it the way I meant it.

Servus, Daniel

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: PGP.sig
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060921/53db6480/PGP.bin

Daniel Egger
2006-09-21 09:27:22 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 21.09.2006, at 14:57, julien wrote:

So, if you apply for a cvs account and does not get it, this means that your work is not good, that you are irresponsible and that you are so bad that nobody wants you to commit...

The "and"s should rather be "or"s. And yes, that would be perfectly valid reasons for *not* getting R/W CVS access.

CVS access means CVS access for the complete GNOME repository and that's quite a lot of code. And thanks to CVS it is really simple to screw up, be it accidentally or itentionally.

So this is how it works: You supply high quality work in form of patches/documents/papers/whatever and be nice and reasonable to other people on mailinglists and possibly IRC. One some someone with write permissions will recognize the work and trustworthyness and ask you whether you'd rather like to have more permissions and if so present the case to the GNOME cvsmasters who will typically acknowledge the request. Since problems would easily fire back to the so called sponsor it's really a matter of knowing and trusting each other to some degree.

One actually *can* apply for a CVS account directly at cvsmasters but I would really recommend against this except for very special cases.

Trying to skip a few steps others habe to take is normally considered a rude thing.

Servus,
Daniel

Desc: This is a digitally signed message part Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060921/65c50c94/PGP.bin

In your heart..
2006-09-21 18:59:25 UTC (over 17 years ago)

all right, all right,
But I said "I'm not complaining. and I don't want to get rightnow. just want to get someday, and will try"

I'm very nervous. I'll never attack you and your position. you guys though, someone who joined just a few days ago, has bad english, bad works-How could you know my works are good or bad?-, doesn't use the real name, and etc,. is just complaining. Thus you said, "you're bad"
but I don't think so. I'm just look like you when you were younger-when joined a open project first time. So I'm not shameful rather than you guys. you must remember my first mail about this subject.

BTW, because of many reasons that I said above, I said I want to know my goal-getting authority to access cvs-, and what does need to close that.
I don't want to waste my time. If I can, I'll try to do, and can't I won't. that's all
I have a job for a living just like all of you. I don't have a lot of time. (But of course, I have a lot of years. I'm intending to translate the manual for 2-3 years for first whole translatio,. and will do for 20-30 years for fixing and rewriting.)

anyway conclusion is. there is no qualification. but need good english, good and continuously works, and real name. If I get ready, someone may recommand me. Is it right?

William Skaggs
2006-09-22 09:16:40 UTC (over 17 years ago)

anyway conclusion is.
there is no qualification. but need good english, good and continuously works, and real name. If I get ready, someone may recommand me. Is it right?

Well, mostly. All you really *need* is for the maintainer of the project to trust you not to do anything bad to the cvs archive. Usually that means submitting good patches for a while and not doing anything crazy. It's no big deal, really. You're making it seem more important than it is.

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Daniel Egger
2006-09-22 10:02:00 UTC (over 17 years ago)

On 22.09.2006, at 03:59, In your heart.. wrote:

I'm very nervous. I'll never attack you and your position. you guys though, someone who joined just a few days ago, has bad english, bad works-How could you know my works are good or bad?-, doesn't use the real name, and etc,. is just complaining. Thus you said, "you're bad" but I don't think so.

Nope, I'm just saying that watching for basic punctuation and using a real name will get you big thumbs up in the regards of netiquette and thus also a plus on your way to CVS write access application.

It's not a strict requirement nor are you automatically "bad" but not being a good net citizen certainly does influence the judgement of people.

I'm just look like you when you were younger-when joined a open project first time. So I'm not shameful rather than you guys. you must remember my first mail about this subject.

Hell of a way to start participating in a project. ;)

BTW, because of many reasons that I said above, I said I want to know my goal-getting authority to access cvs-, and what does need to close that.

Now you know.

anyway conclusion is.
there is no qualification.

Nope.

but need good english,

Not necessarily.

good and continuously works,

Also not necessarily continuous.

and real name.

Yes, or if you can't for some reason use your real name then we'd have to figure out how to deal with that. Normally there cannot be anonymous contributions because of copyright/license issues.

If I get ready, someone may recommand me. Is it right?

That's how it works.

Servus, Daniel

Desc: This is a digitally signed message part Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060922/c74e02cc/PGP-0001.bin