RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

FW: [Gimp-docs] editors

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

FW: [Gimp-docs] editors Sally C. Barry 13 Sep 18:13
Sally C. Barry
2006-09-13 18:13:55 UTC (over 17 years ago)

FW: [Gimp-docs] editors

Hi All -

Sorry, I forgot to send some of my correspondence to the list.

I sent this to Daniel: ---

Actually there's a very nice vim implementation for Windows.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not really looking to find something to work on Windows. :-) Although I'm perfectly willing to use it on Linux, it's not really my favorite editor.

I'm just asking, if I wanted to edit something on Linux -- using vi -- what would I need to do to set it up so it would properly handle the UTF-8 character encodings, and whatever else we need to do to keep cvs happy with the files? I did some reading of the man pages, and found out about stuff like

:let &termencoding = &encoding :set encoding= utf-8

but I don't really know how it works and if the resulting files are actually acceptable to cvs.

For now, I guess I'll just stick with Notepad++ on Windows, but I was just curious.
--

and he responded:

---

:let &termencoding = &encoding
:set encoding= utf-8

but I don't really know how it works and if the resulting files are actually acceptable to cvs.

That would be fine. Actually VIM in Windows has also menus which allow for a comfortable setup and use (comfortable for someone not used to the command line) still preserving the usual editing possibilities.

For now, I guess I'll just stick with Notepad++ on Windows, but I was just curious.

No problem. ;)
---

Just in case anyone else is interested...

Sally