RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

editors

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

editors Sally C. Barry 13 Sep 09:06
  editors Marco Ciampa 13 Sep 13:35
  editors Daniel Egger 13 Sep 14:42
  editors In your heart.. 13 Sep 17:06
   editors Sally C. Barry 13 Sep 18:19
Sally C. Barry
2006-09-13 09:06:08 UTC (over 17 years ago)

editors

Hi All -

I have a question about what editors can be used with Gimp docs.

My main system is Windows ME. Since none of the MS editors (Notepad, Wordpad, MW Word) are suitable for our files, Julien suggested that I download the freeware program, Notepad++. It does the job, but it doesn't really work well with Windows ME. I have to keep re-booting the system, Windows Explorer keeps dying, etc.

Does anyone else use something different that works better?

I run GIMP from a Live Linux CD (Knoppix), although that's not the system I normally have running on my PC.

My preferred editor on Linux is vi (vim). Does anyone know if this works on our XML files? Are there any things to watch out for? Any tips?

Thanks again for your help!

Sally

Marco Ciampa
2006-09-13 13:35:43 UTC (over 17 years ago)

editors

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 12:11:48PM -0400, Sally C. Barry wrote:

Hi All -

I have a question about what editors can be used with Gimp docs.

My main system is Windows ME. Since none of the MS editors (Notepad, Wordpad, MW Word) are suitable for our files, Julien suggested that I download the freeware program, Notepad++. It does the job, but it doesn't really work well with Windows ME. I have to keep re-booting the system, Windows Explorer keeps dying, etc.

I run GIMP from a Live Linux CD (Knoppix), although that's not the system I normally have running on my PC.

My preferred editor on Linux is vi (vim). Does anyone know if this works on our XML files? Are there any things to watch out for? Any tips?

Thanks again for your help!

Sally

Sorry, I do not want to start a vi-emacs war but I use emacs (particulary emacs-snapshot) with the nxml-mode package under Linux (but there are working versions for Windoze, working perfectly under win9x) and I find it GREAT to work with xml files. It do a validation process _during_ text tiping and it is able to mark syntax errors with red underlines in real time.

I know of a great GPL java editor: jedit. Full featured but perhaps a bit heavy...

Or scite: a wonderful lightweight python programmers editor (no xml validation)

Daniel Egger
2006-09-13 14:42:46 UTC (over 17 years ago)

editors

On 13.09.2006, at 18:11, Sally C. Barry wrote:

Actually there's a very nice vim implementation for Windows.

Get it here: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim70.exe

Servus, Daniel

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: PGP.sig
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 186 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060913/82ee7cce/PGP.bin

In your heart..
2006-09-13 17:06:32 UTC (over 17 years ago)

editors

I suggest you to change your OS -_-; as my experience, you can install the Windows XP on Pentium 3 600Mhz machine.(but, of course it needs some tunings. and enough memory, above 196MB)
As the tuning, not much need. just kill some services.

BTW, I used Ultraedit for about 10 years in Windows 98 and XP. but now I use PSPad. 'cause it's free software and has powerful functions. but I can't be sure PSPad can support Windows ME.

and I don't suggest you to try learn other editor on Linux, if you don't know linux well.
I don't know about Linux, but I want to work on Linux, so I installed VMware and Ubuntu in it.
and I tried to learn vi, vim, emacs, gedit, etc.. But those are too difficult. Is it worth that spending time to learn editor's using? I don't think so.

anyway good luck ^^

Sally C. Barry
2006-09-13 18:19:45 UTC (over 17 years ago)

editors

Hello Dust and All -

Unfortunately, I'm probably not going to change my OS anytime soon. :-(

BTW, I used Ultraedit for about 10 years in Windows 98 and XP. but now I use PSPad. 'cause it's free software and has powerful functions. but I can't be sure PSPad can support Windows ME.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind.

and I don't suggest you to try learn other editor on Linux, if you don't know linux well.
I don't know about Linux, but I want to work on Linux, so I installed VMware and Ubuntu in it.
and I tried to learn vi, vim, emacs, gedit, etc.. But those are too difficult. Is it worth that spending time to learn editor's using? I don't think so.

:-) I first started using computers when punched cards were high tech. I had a unix machine on my desk for a number of years and I do know how to use vi already, though I don't feel like taking the time to learn emacs. vi is a bit weird, but not too bad, once you get used to it, like anything else.

anyway good luck ^^

Thanks!

Sally