RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Glossary

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Glossary Sally C. Barry 26 Aug 07:24
  Glossary In your heart.. 26 Aug 17:00
  Glossary Marco Ciampa 26 Aug 17:02
Glossary scbarry@gis.net 26 Aug 17:38
Glossary scbarry@gis.net 26 Aug 18:07
Sally C. Barry
2006-08-26 07:24:09 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Glossary

Hi All -

While I'm working on the Glossary, I'd like to find out if anyone has any requests. Do any users see any problems or omissions with the current Glossary? Do any language translators see any difficulties with them? What can I do, from your perspective, to make it better?

Not entirely related, but here's another question. In the Info Window, the "Visual class" is displayed. According to Sven (thank you!), this is the visual class from the X Window System. For anyone who is running on MS Windows or Mac or other, what do you see displayed in the "Visual class" of the Info Window?

As always, thanks again for your help and support.

Sally

In your heart..
2006-08-26 17:00:24 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Glossary

I'm not sure whether I understood correctly, or not. But anyway, in Gimp 2.2.12 with GTK+ 2.8.18 in MS Windows XP Pro SP2, the info windows is displayed like this

http://like.a.dust.googlepages.com/info.jpg

Marco Ciampa
2006-08-26 17:02:58 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Glossary

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 10:29:28AM -0400, Sally C. Barry wrote:

Hi All -

While I'm working on the Glossary, I'd like to find out if anyone has any requests. Do any users see any problems or omissions with the current Glossary? Do any language translators see any difficulties with them? What can I do, from your perspective, to make it better?

With respect of the language specific acronyms it could be a very good thing (TM) to make the single items complete in english, that is the reference language.

If, in any language other than english, there is an item better descripted or more complete or simply more extensively written, this item should be translated immediatly in english and marked as updated so as to flag the other translators to update the respective language sections to the reference. Again IHMO coherence with the reference language is paramount.

All the manual should follow this simple rule. For the Glossary (actually) it is not possible to have a direct correspondence between sections and language due to the many different characterd used in the words and acronyms descripted in the glossary.

Perhaps this problem could be resolved somehow with some make/makefile scripts creating automatically a reference for the english sections and than re-creating an xml index for every language using a special tag as this

glorefchar="F"

perhaps enclosed in a comment to make it docbook compliant?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In the future, if the manual could be translated, section by section, in a simmetric form for every language, it could be easy to create a mechanism gettext-like to manage the "untranslated" o the "fuzzy" sections automatically. Example:

Joe the english mothertongue writer found that the xy section of the vx tool is missing an option and another is poorly or bad descripted. Than Joe fill the gap and correct the other problem. Then, with an automatic test, all the other languages wrong sections are "fuzzy" marked and the other missing sections are filled with a dummy "UNTRANSLATED" (in english or with the localized translated "UNTRANSLATED" word) string as a stub.

bye

scbarry@gis.net
2006-08-26 17:38:57 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Glossary

Hello Dust,

Thank you very much for the pictures. Yes, you understood what I wanted to know. :-)

Warm greetings,

Sally

----- Original Message Follows -----

I'm not sure whether I understood correctly, or not. But anyway, in Gimp 2.2.12 with GTK+ 2.8.18 in MS Windows XP Pro SP2, the info windows is displayed like this

http://like.a.dust.googlepages.com/info.jpg

scbarry@gis.net
2006-08-26 18:07:32 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Glossary

Hello Marco and All -

With respect of the language specific acronyms it could be a very good thing (TM) to make the single items complete in english, that is the reference language.

Do you have some language-specific acronyms in mind? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

I am trying to improve the existing definitions and add the ones that seem to be missing. (That's why I asked all of you what might be missing or not as good as you'd like.)

If, in any language other than english, there is an item better descripted or more complete or simply more extensively written, this item should be translated immediatly in english and marked as updated so as to flag the other translators to update the respective language sections to the reference. Again IHMO coherence with the reference language is paramount.

I am updating the English to incorporate the best parts of the definitions in the language I can understand. That mostly means German and some French. I can recognize some of the Scandinavian words, and a few Spanish and Italian, but not enough to be useful. I can't read any Czech, Russian, Korean or Chinese, though. I think it would be hard to find someone who understands them all. :-(

In the Glossary, I like the idea I have seen so far of MARK comments if the definition of a term in one of the languages is in a different section. (For example, under Layer, have a MARK comment that the French definition is found under Calque.)

I also think coherence is important, but some languages have chosen at times to have the definitions that are quite different from the others. And I am also aware that if I change an English definition quite a bit, then every other language will have to go back and change theirs at some time, which is a lot of work. However, I would like to have the best definitions possible, so I can't be completely tied to what's there, either. So it is a balance.

Perhaps this problem could be resolved somehow with some make/makefile scripts creating automatically a reference for the english sections and than re-creating an xml index for every language using a special tag as this

There, you are beyond my capabilities. Perhaps Roman or Axel would consider something a little more automated. ??? Or perhaps there is already a "policy" in place that I don't know about yet.

There's a joke that managing software engineers is like herding cats. It must be even worse trying to keep a group of volunteers around the world going in the same direction. :-) Keep up the good work, all. You're great!

I'm still open to suggestions of specific things anyone thinks needs to be added or improved in the Glossary.

Warm regards to everybody,

Sally