RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

formal versus informal "you"

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

formal versus informal "you" Sally C. Barry 21 Jul 08:15
  formal versus informal "you" Roman Joost 23 Jul 23:08
Sally C. Barry
2006-07-21 08:15:26 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello all,

I noticed some things in the German entries, which might also be relevant to French or other languages.

In some places, I noticed the use of "du" or "Du" (informal you), and in other places, I saw "Sie" (formal you).

First, the German gimp-doc folks should figure out which level of formality Gimp should use. And second, if the decision is for informal, it needs to be standardized on either "du" or "Du". Now that the dust has settled (???) on the most recent German spelling reform, this can be done.

Has the Gimp documentation been updated for whatever other changes are in the newest spelling reform? I didn't notice.

OK, OK, I know that there are far more important issues at this point, but I figured I'd bring it up, anyway. I apologize if it has already been discussed here before.

Regards,

Sally

Roman Joost
2006-07-23 23:08:09 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hi Sally,

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 11:19:53AM -0400, Sally C. Barry wrote:

I noticed some things in the German entries, which might also be relevant to French or other languages.

In some places, I noticed the use of "du" or "Du" (informal you), and in other places, I saw "Sie" (formal you).

First, the German gimp-doc folks should figure out which level of formality Gimp should use. And second, if the decision is for informal, it needs to be standardized on either "du" or "Du". Now that the dust has settled (???) on the most recent German spelling reform, this can be done.

Has the Gimp documentation been updated for whatever other changes are in the newest spelling reform? I didn't notice.

OK, OK, I know that there are far more important issues at this point, but I figured I'd bring it up, anyway. I apologize if it has already been discussed here before.

No thats great. I think, for german it should be 'Sie', the formal you. I know, the manual shouldn't be as boring is 'normal' manuals, but I think that's good style :)

Greetings,