RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

What do I do with the glossary??

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

What do I do with the glossary?? Manuel Quiñones 02 Jun 08:01
  What do I do with the glossary?? Axel Wernicke 02 Jun 10:06
  What do I do with the glossary?? Jakub Friedl 02 Jun 10:27
  What do I do with the glossary?? Marco Ciampa 02 Jun 16:56
  What do I do with the glossary?? julien 02 Jun 22:55
   What do I do with the glossary?? Axel Wernicke 03 Jun 01:02
Manuel Quiñones
2006-06-02 08:01:57 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Hello, I'm one of the spanish translators.

We have started recently our translation. I was seeing a lot of references to the glossary so I'm working on it now. I came to the problem that a term in spanish may not start with the same character as the original in english, but the terms are arranged by alphabetical order in the files.

I see in the source two approaches on this: the german translation was moved to the corresponding files, and a comment is left in the original file. Other translations like the italian one translated the terms in the place.

I think that the german approach is the best, but it's also prone to errors in the docs. I'm acting as the italian approach for now, so I may move the terms to the right place in the future. But is there a better solution for this?

Axel Wernicke
2006-06-02 10:06:35 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi Manuel,

Am 02.06.2006 um 17:01 schrieb Manuel Qui?ones:

We have started recently our translation. I was seeing a lot of references to the glossary so I'm working on it now. I came to the problem that a term in spanish may not start with the same character as the original in english, but the terms are arranged by alphabetical order in the files.

I see in the source two approaches on this: the german translation was moved to the corresponding files, and a comment is left in the original file. Other translations like the italian one translated the terms in the place.

well, I think I introduced the german version. AFAIK there was a good reason for this. Lets take color as an example. This would show up in the glossary within the "C" section. The german word for color is Farbe. If I would have inserted the description directly beneath the glossary entry for color in the c.xml it would have shown up as "Farbe" in the "C" section of the glossary - This obviously makes no sense. Therefore I had to move it to the f.xml...

greetings, lexA

Jakub Friedl
2006-06-02 10:27:17 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

Dne p?tek 02 ?erven 2006 17:01 Manuel Qui?ones napsal(a):

errors in the docs. I'm acting as the italian approach for now, so I may move the terms to the right place in the future. But is there a better solution for this?

Czech uses also the "german" approach. It is the correct way, imho.

Marco Ciampa
2006-06-02 16:56:31 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 12:01:48PM -0300, Manuel Qui?ones wrote:

Where (which definitions) are in this way exactly? If it is written in this manner it is not intentional...and the glossary is not finished so it's only a temporary solution...

I think that the german approach is the best, but it's also prone to errors in the docs. I'm acting as the italian approach for now, so I may move the terms to the right place in the future. But is there a better solution for this?

Perhaps the best solution is what you suggested: to translate in place and then move the definitions under the chapter they belongs to in a second time...

Any suggestion for a better approach?

julien
2006-06-02 22:55:38 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

A question about the glossary:
Can we have the same 'id', distinguished with a 'lang="xx", in two different directories. For instance: in p.xml for the english version and 1- in c.xml
or
3- in c.xml ?

Julien

Axel Wernicke
2006-06-03 01:02:26 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi Julien,

Am 03.06.2006 um 07:55 schrieb julien:

A question about the glossary:
Can we have the same 'id', distinguished with a 'lang="xx", in two different directories. For instance: in p.xml for the english version and 1- in c.xml for the french
version

It works this way, e.g:

c.xml contains:
Color modes

Modalit? colori
?? ??(Color modes)
Color modes(????)

and f.xml contains:
Farbraum, Farbmodell

Please notice that I left a MARK comment in the place where the glossterm is described for en(glish). This way one can easily find out whether a specific glossterm was already translated to a certain language or not.

or must I have
2- in c.xml ?

Neither is this necessary, nor is it from my pov a good idea to make the id language specific. It just makes things more complicated.

greetings, lexA

Julien