RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

sect4

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

sect4 julien 21 Mar 11:27
  sect4 Axel Wernicke 21 Mar 12:09
   sect4 julien 21 Mar 12:43
    sect4 Axel Wernicke 21 Mar 13:21
     sect4 julien 21 Mar 22:09
      sect4 Axel Wernicke 21 Mar 22:33
     sect4 Roman Joost 22 Mar 00:04
julien
2006-03-21 11:27:26 UTC (about 18 years ago)

sect4

Since the creation of sect4, the help summary is less detailed: for example, Preferences sections are not displayed in the help summary :-(

julien

Axel Wernicke
2006-03-21 12:09:25 UTC (about 18 years ago)

sect4

Am 21.03.2006 um 20:27 schrieb julien:

Since the creation of sect4, the help summary is less detailed: for example, Preferences sections are not displayed in the help summary :-(

which sect4 do you mean in special? What help summary you are referencing?

greetings, lexA

julien

julien
2006-03-21 12:43:18 UTC (about 18 years ago)

sect4

In the former Help Table Of Content, Preferences sections were listed under preferences. Now, we have only "Preferences" and we can't get to each preference directly from the TOC.

Instead of "creation of sect4", read "last help re-organistation.

Thank you for your answers.

Julien

Axel Wernicke a ?crit :

Am 21.03.2006 um 20:27 schrieb julien:

which sect4 do you mean in special? What help summary you are referencing?

greetings, lexA

julien

Axel Wernicke
2006-03-21 13:21:42 UTC (about 18 years ago)

sect4

Hi Julien,

Am 21.03.2006 um 21:43 schrieb julien:

In the former Help Table Of Content, Preferences sections were listed under preferences. Now, we have only "Preferences" and we can't get to each preference directly from the TOC.

This is indeed correct. Just allow me two annotations to this. First is, that I'm much more concerned about a TOC of more than 10(!) pages. Most of the dialog description are pretty huge. There is a further section level for like "calling dialog xy" or "using dialog xy" really needed. On the other hand such sections surely do not belong into the TOC right?
The second argument (which might not be consensus at all) is, that the preferences section you are mentioning is not a dialog at all and should be in my opinion relocated to the menu chapter anyway. For me a dialog in GIMP is a window containing controls to work with tools or images and most important: it is a window that stays open all the time and can be docked together with other dialogs. Nothing of that is true for the preferences dialog window.

Greetings, lexA

julien

julien
2006-03-21 22:09:32 UTC (about 18 years ago)

sect4

Hi Axel,

For the moment, the HTML Preferences file is huge, and users can't find what they are looking for easily among 15 merged items. Perhaps we can modify the preferences-introduction.xml file to have links instead of xi:include

Greetings

Julien

Axel Wernicke a ?crit :

Hi Julien,

This is indeed correct. Just allow me two annotations to this. First is, that I'm much more concerned about a TOC of more than 10(!) pages. Most of the dialog description are pretty huge. There is a further section level for like "calling dialog xy" or "using dialog xy" really needed. On the other hand such sections surely do not belong into the TOC right? The second argument (which might not be consensus at all) is, that the preferences section you are mentioning is not a dialog at all and should be in my opinion relocated to the menu chapter anyway. For me a dialog in GIMP is a window containing controls to work with tools or images and most important: it is a window that stays open all the time and can be docked together with other dialogs. Nothing of that is true for the preferences dialog window.

Greetings, lexA

julien

Axel Wernicke
2006-03-21 22:33:55 UTC (about 18 years ago)

sect4

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Hi Julien,

Am 22.03.2006 um 07:09 schrieb julien:

Hi Axel,

For the moment, the HTML Preferences file is huge, and users can't find what they are looking for easily among 15 merged items. Perhaps we can modify the preferences-introduction.xml file to have links instead of xi:include

One would have to add the links *not* to replace the xi:include.

Greetings, lexA

Greetings

Julien

Axel Wernicke a ?crit :

Hi Julien,

This is indeed correct. Just allow me two annotations to this. First is, that I'm much more concerned about a TOC of more than 10 (!) pages. Most of the dialog description are pretty huge. There is a further section level for like "calling dialog xy" or "using dialog xy" really needed. On the other hand such sections surely do not belong into the TOC right?
The second argument (which might not be consensus at all) is, that the preferences section you are mentioning is not a dialog at all and should be in my opinion relocated to the menu chapter anyway. For me a dialog in GIMP is a window containing controls to work with tools or images and most important: it is a window that stays open all the time and can be docked together with other dialogs. Nothing of that is true for the preferences dialog window. Greetings, lexA

julien

Roman Joost
2006-03-22 00:04:59 UTC (about 18 years ago)

sect4

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 10:21:32PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

[...] first argument

The second argument (which might not be consensus at all) is, that the preferences section you are mentioning is not a dialog at all and should be in my opinion relocated to the menu chapter anyway. For me a dialog in GIMP is a window containing controls to work with tools or images and most important: it is a window that stays open all the time and can be docked together with other dialogs. Nothing of that is true for the preferences dialog window.

I'd still like to leave the preferences dialog listed under dialogs. IMHO a dialog window, even if it's not always visible.

What we can do to prevent DocBook not to merge every single sect3 to a single page is to chunk them. A parameter in the HTML XSLT should do the trick.

Greetings,