RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to upload my cvs files?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to upload my cvs files? kol-stue at online.no (Kolbj 15 Jan 11:33
  How to upload my cvs files? Axel Wernicke 15 Jan 13:06
   How to upload my cvs files? Roman Joost 16 Jan 04:15
How to upload my cvs files? kol-stue at online.no (Kolbj 15 Jan 14:51
How to upload my cvs files? kol-stue at online.no (Kolbj 16 Jan 13:26
kol-stue at online.no (Kolbj
2006-01-15 11:33:24 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi

I have added a Norwegian translation to some of the xml files in the Gimp help-2. How to upload these files to the server? In the "tips for contributing" I'm told to send my files to the maintainer of the language, but could not find any for the Norwegian "no" and "nn" language files. Is there someone who has the time to do the work for me, or to tell me how to upload the files? If no one has changed the cvs files lately, i.e. later than January 4th, the toolbox map together with the "nn" image map are ready for uploading.

There are no "nn" in the po/mo maps. If it's necessary, I have an (nearly finished) translation for the "nn" po files.

(Norway is a little country, but we have 3 different language codes: "nb", "nn", and "no" with the latter as the general code for Norwegian. "nb" means Norwegian (bokmaal) and "nn" means Norwegian (nynorsk)).

Kolbj?rn Stuest?l

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IT-pedagog Kolbj?rn Stuest?l Stuest?l
N4580 Lyngdal
webside: http://home.online.no/~kol-stue/ -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060115/7d53f1dc/attachment.html

Axel Wernicke
2006-01-15 13:06:26 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Skipped content of type multipart/alternative-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: PGP.sig
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 186 bytes
Desc: Signierter Teil der Nachricht
Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060115/4c5948d4/PGP.bin

2006-01-15 14:51:18 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Thank you for answering
"no" is the general lang code for Norwegian language in general. "nb" specifies the form of the norwegian language called "bokmaal" and "nn" is the lang code for another "dialect" of Norwegian called "nynorsk". Both languages are understanable to all norwegians. (Differ like Swedish and Danish perhaps). "nn" and "nb" differs and acts like different languages in lang codes. I found the "nb" and "no" in the configure.in file, but not "nn". For the help-2 files I have used "nn" and "nn". There are no need at the moment for the "nb" lang code in the help files untill someone writes the help in norwegian (bokmaal). I will check out the cvs if there are newer modifications and eventually recode and send the files tomorrow night. I am new to this game, and need some time to grab it all. How to create a patch file in Windows and so one....
Have a good night
Kolbj?rn
----- Original Message ---

Roman Joost
2006-01-16 04:15:49 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:06:05PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

There are no nn in the po/mo maps. If it s necessary, I have an (nearly finished) translation for the nn po files.

hmm, can anybody help us here? I've no clue how the .po files are handled.

We don't use po files in our manual. The translations are written in XML as well as the english content and seperated by the build process.

Po files are used for the GIMP UI translation. Those are handled by the maintainer of the norwegian translation. I'm not sure if this is currently handled by the GNOME project or still by a private person.

Anyway, as Axel already mentioned, create a patch and send it to him. He'll review it and can provide tips or other useful information about the content. Thanks both for your effort :)

(Norway is a little country, but we have 3 different language codes: nb , nn , and no with the latter as the general code for Norwegian. nb means Norwegian (bokmaal) and nn means Norwegian (nynorsk)).

So is there any support for one of the norwegian languages in the make file already?

Nope.

If not we can add the changes to the .xml files anyway, but wouldn' be able to build the html and pdf files for that language. Which language will you provide by the way - nb or nn? Are they similar, so we have to support one of them or is there need for supporting booth? Sorry, if no clue of the norwegian language :)

As you already wrote Kolbj?rn, provide the translations for 'no'. I don't think we want to provide the manual in different dialects of norwegian, right?

Greetings,

2006-01-16 13:26:05 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Thank you for answering.

Axel wrote:

Just make sure you have done your changes to an up to date version of the cvs files. Then >create a patch file as described in the wiki tips for contributing. This patch file and the image >files that you might have changed or added can you send to a maintainer. If there is nobody >right now who feels responsible for the norwegian version, you can send them to me by pm. >I go and merge your patch to the cvs files and commit the changes then.

I've read the wiki up and down together with endless attempts to write any suggestions on the command line on the WinCvs I'm using, but am not able to get any sense on how to make the patch file you mentioned. I assume I have to work online on the cvs server. But I am not able to find the right command to write on the command line. How is the command for creating a patch? I would like to upload the xml files (and image files too) for the toolbox map.

I'm using WinCvs and Windows XP if that matter.

I created a local copy of the cvs of course, but am not able to use it the same way I'm using WinCvs online. When I write the path to the root of the map, WinCvs adds a CVSROOT at the end, and as there are no such file in the maps the program greets me with an error message.

As you may see, I'm at total novice to this world of DocBook and similar. Lots of new stuff to learn!

Roman wrote:

As you already wrote Kolbj?rn, provide the translations for 'no'. I

don't think we want to provide the manual in different dialects of

norwegian, right?

Yes, you are right.

I my translation the 'nn' and 'no' files are exactly the same and I therefore have added the code lang='nn;no' instead of writing separate paragraphs for each. As I see they are doing no harm except for occupating some space. Opening for 'no' language will extract these files whatsoever.

Kolbj?rn

----- Original Message ---