RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

image resolution in pdf/html files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

image resolution in pdf/html files Marco Ciampa 09 Jan 10:01
  image resolution in pdf/html files Axel Wernicke 09 Jan 11:38
   image resolution in pdf/html files Marco Ciampa 10 Jan 01:34
    image resolution in pdf/html files Roman Joost 10 Jan 04:30
     image resolution in pdf/html files Michael Schumacher 10 Jan 11:47
      image resolution in pdf/html files Roman Joost 11 Jan 05:18
Marco Ciampa
2006-01-09 10:01:45 UTC (about 18 years ago)

First of all: I'm not an expert...be gentle!

I've just noted that the 4 images present in images/using/ui-* are horribly scaled. A quick view at the english-pdf file showed me the reason since I tryed to create the same snapshots for the italian version and endedup with a pdf file with the images going outside the a4 margins. So the question is:

- why not leaving the 1by1 pixel in the image? is it not possible to use a tag (for example) to tell the latex that that image must be scaled (for example by 1/2 or 1/3) for the printable version? In this manner the html pages _and_ the pdf pages would be better looking!

- from the starting point that there are very important reasons not easily circunventeable to do in such manner, what are the rule of thumb for creating an image good for both the html _and_ the pdf versions?
Limits in pixel?
Valid either for A4 than Letter? Or for now it is best to simply do a try-compile-view cycle? The "Hints for making good screenshots" in the "TipsForContributing" do not mention this problem and I think that, whatever you experts decide, it is worth to ad a note..

Many thanks for the patience!

Axel Wernicke
2006-01-09 11:38:50 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi Marco,

Am 09.01.2006 um 19:01 schrieb Marco Ciampa:

we do - as we do always - don't we :)

I've just noted that the 4 images present in images/using/ui-* are horribly scaled. A quick view at the english-pdf file showed me the reason since I tryed to create the same snapshots for the italian version and endedup with a pdf file with the images going outside the a4
margins. So the question is:

No images are scaled for the pdf production recently. What I (we) did was to set a different print *resolution* which always is "pixel per something". So no pixel at all was harmed by this action !!

- why not leaving the 1by1 pixel in the image? is it not possible to use a tag (for example) to tell the latex that
that image must be scaled (for example by 1/2 or 1/3) for the printable
version? In this manner the html pages _and_ the pdf pages would be better
looking!

Setting the print resolution means to define a real size for the image in tex (pdf) without changing anything in the html output. Sure one could also double each figure in the docbook and define one to be used in html and on in tex (pdf), but this is very messy and puts some kind of stylesheet into the xml. The whole idea of docbook is to *separate* content and style, so its obviously not a good idea to do the scaling in the xml files.

- from the starting point that there are very important reasons not easily circunventeable to do in such manner, what are the rule of thumb for creating an image good for both the html _and_ the
pdf versions?
Limits in pixel?
Valid either for A4 than Letter?
Or for now it is best to simply do a try-compile-view cycle? The "Hints for making good screenshots" in the "TipsForContributing"
do not mention this problem and I think that, whatever you experts decide, it is worth to ad a note..

Just do the figures as you did them in the past. Screenshots go 1:1 into the html. There is a rule of thumb, that for the html the width should not exceed 600px (IIRC). Additionally set the print resolution to 144dpi and you are done. The only exception is if you have examples that are very tiny (as most of the wilber examples are) or you have some very tiny screen snippets (as some details from a dialog window for example) - for them just leave the print resolution unchanged (72dpi). When the tex (pdf) version of the manual is produced, we'll have a critical view to image sizes anyway so if there are further changes needed they can be done afterwards.

Hope that brought some light to the issue...

lexA

Many thanks for the patience!

Marco Ciampa
2006-01-10 01:34:11 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 08:38:26PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

Am 09.01.2006 um 19:01 schrieb Marco Ciampa:

we do - as we do always - don't we :)

I've just noted that the 4 images present in images/using/ui-* are horribly scaled. A quick view at the english-pdf file showed me the reason since I tryed to create the same snapshots for the italian version and endedup with a pdf file with the images going outside the a4
margins. So the question is:

No images are scaled for the pdf production recently. What I (we) did was to set a different print *resolution* which always is "pixel per something". So no pixel at all was harmed by this action !!

But the images images/using/ui-* actually _are_ scaled, and in an horrible way! Check by yourself!
If you do not mind I can correct the thing with the next checkout.

- why not leaving the 1by1 pixel in the image? is it not possible to use a tag (for example) to tell the latex that
that image must be scaled (for example by 1/2 or 1/3) for the printable
version? In this manner the html pages _and_ the pdf pages would be better
looking!

Setting the print resolution means to define a real size for the image in tex (pdf) without changing anything in the html output. Sure one could also double each figure in the docbook and define one to be used in html and on in tex (pdf), but this is very messy and puts some kind of stylesheet into the xml. The whole idea of docbook is to *separate* content and style, so its obviously not a good idea to do the scaling in the xml files.

You are absolutely right! I've managed to change the print resolution of the images to best values for the purpouse and it worked like a sharm. It seems that who created the aforementioned images was not aware of the right way to do this operation.

- from the starting point that there are very important reasons not easily circunventeable to do in such manner, what are the rule of thumb for creating an image good for both the html _and_ the pdf versions?
Limits in pixel? Valid either for A4 than Letter? Or for now it is best to simply do a try-compile-view cycle? The "Hints for making good screenshots" in the "TipsForContributing"
do not mention this problem and I think that, whatever you experts decide, it is worth to ad a note..

Just do the figures as you did them in the past. Screenshots go 1:1 into the html. There is a rule of thumb, that for the html the width should not exceed 600px (IIRC). Additionally set the print resolution to 144dpi and you are done. The only exception is if you have examples that are very tiny (as most of the wilber examples are) or you have some very tiny screen snippets (as some details from a dialog window for example) - for them just leave the print resolution unchanged (72dpi). When the tex (pdf) version of the manual is produced, we'll have a critical view to image sizes anyway so if there are further changes needed they can be done afterwards.

Hope that brought some light to the issue...

Axel, you were simply brilliant!

I'll complete the wikipage too since I think that this issue is pretty important.

Roman Joost
2006-01-10 04:30:30 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:34:01AM +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:

But the images images/using/ui-* actually _are_ scaled, and in an horrible way! Check by yourself!

You don't have to. This dialog is removed for the next stable version of TheGIMP (2.4), so I don't think, that we need to maintain those pages anymore.

These images were not affected by Axels change of the print size, btw. If you already made new screenshots you're free to replace the old once. It won't hurt and a big thank you for your effort.

Greetings,

Michael Schumacher
2006-01-10 11:47:11 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Roman Joost wrote:

You don't have to. This dialog is removed for the next stable version of TheGIMP (2.4), so I don't think, that we need to maintain those pages anymore.

Huh? You seem to assume that with the release of 2.4, nobody will need the help for 2.2 anymore...

Michael

Roman Joost
2006-01-11 05:18:26 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:47:02PM +0100, Michael Schumacher wrote:

Roman Joost wrote:

Huh? You seem to assume that with the release of 2.4, nobody will need the help for 2.2 anymore...

No, but we have the information (the screenshots) already there. Even if they are badly scaled they're still usefull.

Greetings,