RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Preface missing in PDF

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Preface missing in PDF Axel Wernicke 11 Dec 11:57
  Preface missing in PDF Roman Joost 12 Dec 04:21
Preface missing in PDF Axel Wernicke 12 Dec 05:53
  Preface missing in PDF Roman Joost 12 Dec 06:41
   Preface missing in PDF Axel Wernicke 12 Dec 13:04
Axel Wernicke
2005-12-11 11:57:21 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Preface missing in PDF

Hi all,

I just found out, that the whole preface section of the manual is missing in the PDF version. Does anybody have an idea what's going on here?
Why did we introduce the preface anyway? It seems to be created pretty recently - may be in conjunction with the splitting into the base, wizard, reference chapters? I personally would prefer to move the content of the preface ( GIMP introduction and GIMP history) to the Introduction section.

greetings, lexa ---
Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get... GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ pr?fen

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: PGP.sig
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 186 bytes
Desc: Signierter Teil der Nachricht
Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20051211/c5090dde/PGP.bin

Roman Joost
2005-12-12 04:21:23 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Preface missing in PDF

Hi Axel,

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 08:57:00PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

I just found out, that the whole preface section of the manual is missing in the PDF version. Does anybody have an idea what's going on here?

I'm not sure... maybe a missing language attribute? Actually, if I look at the german an english PDF, I see a Preface ... (page 27. in en.pdf).

Why did we introduce the preface anyway? It seems to be created pretty recently - may be in conjunction with the splitting into the base, wizard, reference chapters? I personally would prefer to move the content of the preface ( GIMP introduction and GIMP history) to the Introduction section.

I added the preface, because I thought, that we would add more content which is not relevant to learn GIMP. The authors of the book, the authors of GIMP or the history of GIMP is in my opinion nice to know. But it is nothing you want to read in the introduction ... Though, the preface has an introductionary background.

Greetings,

Axel Wernicke
2005-12-12 05:53:59 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Preface missing in PDF

Hi List, Hi Roman,

--- Urspr?ngliche Nachricht ---
Von: Roman Joost

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 08:57:00PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

I just found out, that the whole preface section of the manual is

missing in the PDF version.

Does anybody have an idea what's going on here?

I'm not sure... maybe a missing language attribute? Actually, if I look at the german an english PDF, I see a Preface ... (page 27. in en.pdf).

Why did we introduce the preface anyway? It seems to be created pretty

recently - may be in

conjunction with the splitting into the base, wizard, reference

chapters? I personally would

prefer to move the content of the preface ( GIMP introduction and GIMP

history) to the

Introduction section.

I added the preface, because I thought, that we would add more content which is not relevant to learn GIMP. The authors of the book, the authors of GIMP or the history of GIMP is in my opinion nice to know. But it is nothing you want to read in the introduction ... Though, the preface has an introductionary background.

I had a minute ago a look into http://docs.gimp.org/en.pdf and couldn't find the GIMP history section neither the preface at all ... ... I agree with you, to separate the GIMP history from the introduction might be a good thing to do, but if we put them on the first pages of the manual makes it very visible ...
... how about putting the history - which might grow in time - in the appendix section? The authors on the other hand might be well placed at te very beginning of the book :)

Greetings, lexa

Greetings,

Roman Joost
2005-12-12 06:41:46 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Preface missing in PDF

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 02:53:55PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

I had a minute ago a look into http://docs.gimp.org/en.pdf and couldn't find the GIMP history section neither the preface at all ...

Odd. Very odd... Page 27 shows me a Preface with two sections: GIMP User Manual Authors and Contributors and the GIMP History.

... I agree with you, to separate the GIMP history from the introduction might be a good thing to do, but if we put them on the first pages of the manual makes it very visible ...
... how about putting the history - which might grow in time - in the appendix section? The authors on the other hand might be well placed at te very beginning of the book :)

Appendix could also be a good place. It won't hurt moving it to the appendix chapter, while we're adding more 'manual related information' to the preface ...

Greetings,

Axel Wernicke
2005-12-12 13:04:13 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Preface missing in PDF

Hi list, Hi Roman,

Am 12.12.2005 um 15:40 schrieb Roman Joost:

I had a minute ago a look into http://docs.gimp.org/en.pdf and couldn't find
the GIMP history section neither the preface at all ...

Odd. Very odd... Page 27 shows me a Preface with two sections: GIMP User
Manual Authors and Contributors and the GIMP History.

Ups, my fault - the TOC tricked me, there is the preface missing :( It seems we still have some problems with the pdf conversion. Right now I'm hunting for some images that are shown in the html, but missing in the pdf ...

... I agree with you, to separate the GIMP history from the introduction
might be a good thing to do, but if we put them on the first pages of the
manual makes it very visible ...
... how about putting the history - which might grow in time - in the appendix section? The authors on the other hand might be well placed at te
very beginning of the book :)

Appendix could also be a good place. It won't hurt moving it to the appendix chapter, while we're adding more 'manual related information' to the preface ...

did that, moved the files (bugs.xml also) to an appropriate directory.

Greetings, lexa

Greetings,