RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

removing /html from cvs repository

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 16 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

removing /html from cvs repository WmRobt 17 Nov 18:51
  Errata contribution Roman Joost 18 Nov 02:33
removing /html from cvs repository William Skaggs 18 Nov 08:18
removing /html from cvs repository Michael Schumacher 14 Dec 07:28
removing /html from cvs repository Axel Wernicke 14 Dec 07:50
20051106154201.GC5515@clyde 07 Oct 20:29
  removing /html from cvs repository Daniel Egger 14 Nov 08:48
   removing /html from cvs repository Sven Neumann 14 Nov 12:25
    removing /html from cvs repository Daniel Egger 14 Nov 12:26
    removing /html from cvs repository Axel Wernicke 12 Dec 13:19
     removing /html from cvs repository Roman Joost 13 Dec 00:05
      removing /html from cvs repository Axel Wernicke 13 Dec 10:48
       removing /html from cvs repository Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 13 Dec 17:29
       removing /html from cvs repository Roman Joost 14 Dec 01:16
DF342F32-42D3-4213-93C4-87D... 07 Oct 20:29
87r79vezum.fsf@gimp.org 07 Oct 20:29
Daniel Egger
2005-11-14 08:48:33 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 06.11.2005, at 16:42, Roman Joost wrote:

As Sven already pointed out, it won't work to remove empty directories on the repository site.

Someone with direct access to the CVS server could physically remove the directory. However this has the nasty sideeffect that existing cvs checkouts will need to be modified locally or cvs update will cause warnings every time.

Servus, Daniel

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: PGP.sig
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 186 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20051114/bff378bd/PGP.bin

Sven Neumann
2005-11-14 12:25:38 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

Daniel Egger writes:

As Sven already pointed out, it won't work to remove empty directories on the repository site.

Someone with direct access to the CVS server could physically remove the directory. However this has the nasty sideeffect that existing cvs checkouts will need to be modified locally or cvs update will cause warnings every time.

I think we can assume that there aren't too many people actually checking out gimp-help-2 from CVS and most of them should be subscribed here. Unless someone objects, I will ask Yosh to remove the directory on the CVS server.

Sven

Daniel Egger
2005-11-14 12:26:50 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On 14.11.2005, at 21:25, Sven Neumann wrote:

I think we can assume that there aren't too many people actually checking out gimp-help-2 from CVS and most of them should be subscribed here. Unless someone objects, I will ask Yosh to remove the directory on the CVS server.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Servus, Daniel

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: PGP.sig
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 186 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20051114/d71a8668/PGP.bin

WmRobt
2005-11-17 18:51:20 UTC (over 18 years ago)

----- Original Message ---

Roman Joost
2005-11-18 02:33:24 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Errata contribution

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 08:51:07PM -0600, WmRobt wrote:

What does this mean? Where should I have gotten the copy of The GIMP help from? Was downloading from gimp.org/en the best thing to do and will it not be affected?

This will not be affected at all. The previous mails are referring to the CVS module, which can be downloaded from the GNOME CVS[1].

Okey guys,
I started a review about a month ago and now I have almost 700 erata for the 356 or so URL/s (pages) I do not know what to do with. I would like to help. In this process I have learned a lot about The GIMP and somethings about the people behind the code. I continue to be impressed by both. Oh yea and some stuff about other projects like, Inkscape, Gtk, eclipse, docbook and Tango. But I'm afraid, not nearly enough to be of much use to you yet.

very nice :)

What I'd like to do is feed this back to someone in as painless a way as possible for all involved, keeping in mind that I can only recommend or in some cases ask a question which I have not found an answer for yet.

Very good. This helps to detect unclear phrases or descriptions.

For now my working notes are organized in a spreadsheet showing URLs, identity and my recommendation or question. At the risk of apearing sloppy, I've included the first few lines from the Open Office file below.

In the beginning I copied or downloaded from gimp.org/en/ the help file of 2.09. Then with the help of a couple of lists of errata I began to identify occurances of each. The interim result is in this Open Office file.

[...] errata

FWIW, I recently visited http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gimp-help-2/html/, and found the following:

a short extract:

[...]

// I ask if the above "Anchar" is a typo or just something I haven't // learned yet.

It's definitely a typo.

I do wish not to misappropriate your time here, if there is a better way...

I would like if a native speaker in our round can add your proposed fixes to the manual. If no one volunteers for this, I would like to see your fixes. But I've to admit, that I'm currently a bit short of time and your fixes won't be added in the next couple of days ...

[1] - http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/TipsForContributing

Greetings,

William Skaggs
2005-11-18 08:18:13 UTC (over 18 years ago)

WmRobt wrote:

What I'd like to do is feed this back to someone in as painless a way as possible for all involved, keeping in mind that I can only recommend or in some cases ask a question which I have not found an answer for yet.

Given the amount of work you have done, I think I can probably help out with this. It would be best if you could separate the fixes from the suggestions for improvement, because the fixes can be implemented immediately, but I don't have time to spend on signficant rewriting at this moment. Also, if you continue with this, you are working a bit harder than you really need to -- you can just say, for example, "adaptative -> adaptive", without the lengthy explanation. It looks to me like most of your changes are obviously correct.

Best wishes,

-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the CNPRC Email system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Axel Wernicke
2005-12-12 13:19:56 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi Yosh, hi list,

@Yosh: did Svan ask you for that little favour already? May be this tiny little

"rm -r html"

at the gimp-help-2 directory of the cvs got lost in outer space, or so to speak in some strange kind of christmas shopping...

I'd really appreciate to get this mess cleaned up, otherwise somebody (probably me) will do some commit to this director by accident.

Thanks a lot, lexA

Am 14.11.2005 um 21:25 schrieb Sven Neumann:

Hi,

Daniel Egger writes:

As Sven already pointed out, it won't work to remove empty directories
on the repository site.

Sven

Roman Joost
2005-12-13 00:05:21 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 10:19:48PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

"rm -r html"

I'd really appreciate to get this mess cleaned up, otherwise somebody (probably me) will do some commit to this director by accident.

A 'cvs update -P' would be enough to prune empty directories. This should prevent you from adding content in the html directory :)

Greetings,

Axel Wernicke
2005-12-13 10:48:49 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Am 13.12.2005 um 09:04 schrieb Roman Joost:

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 10:19:48PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

"rm -r html"

I'd really appreciate to get this mess cleaned up, otherwise somebody (probably me) will do
some commit to this director by accident.

A 'cvs update -P' would be enough to prune empty directories. This should prevent you from adding content in the html directory :)

actually that doesn't help I guess. Eclipse is already configured to prune empty directories - so I don't get them when updating from cvs. But as soon as I do a make, the directories are created locally and hence on Eclipse shows me the files beneath as missing in the cvs and wants me to add them :(

Greetings,

lexa

Greetings,

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2005-12-13 17:29:07 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 04:48 pm, Axel Wernicke wrote:

Re: [Gimp-docs] removing /html from cvs repository Date: Today 04:48:26 pm
To: Roman Joost
CC: GIMP Docs

actually that doesn't help I guess. Eclipse is already configured to ? prune empty directories - so I don't get them when updating from cvs. But as soon as I do a make, the directories are created locally and hence on Eclipse shows me the files beneath as missing in the cvs and wants me to add them :(

Eeek!
I do not know for you, but as far as I am concerned, this is a major bug in eclipse functionality, whether intentional or not.

We better think of a workaround, since I have this funny feeling the "big guys" at IBM will have some excuse not to fix it.

JS ->

Greetings,

lexa

Greetings,
--

Roman Joost
2005-12-14 01:16:50 UTC (over 18 years ago)

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:48:26PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

actually that doesn't help I guess. Eclipse is already configured to prune empty directories - so I don't get them when updating from cvs. But as soon as I do a make, the directories are created locally and hence on Eclipse shows me the files beneath as missing in the cvs and wants me to add them :(

A bit odd IMHO. It shouldn't be included in the 'checkin' list, because a 'make' doesn't create a 'CVS' directory. The CVS directory is needed for status information about the current directory. Well, maybe a bug or something ...

Greetings,

Michael Schumacher
2005-12-14 07:28:06 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Von: Roman Joost

But as soon as I do a make, the directories are created locally and hence on Eclipse shows me the files beneath as missing in the cvs and wants me to add them :(

A bit odd IMHO. It shouldn't be included in the 'checkin' list,

add != commit

Eclipse probably detects the files as unknown (which is correct) and offers to add them (which is debatable). Maybe this behaviour is also configurable?

HTH, Michael

Axel Wernicke
2005-12-14 07:50:30 UTC (over 18 years ago)

--- Urspr?ngliche Nachricht ---
Von: "Michael Schumacher"
An: gimp-docs@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Betreff: Re: [Gimp-docs] removing /html from cvs repository Datum: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:28:01 +0100 (MET)

Von: Roman Joost

But as soon as I do a make, the directories are created locally and hence on Eclipse shows me the files beneath as missing in the cvs and wants me to add them :(

A bit odd IMHO. It shouldn't be included in the 'checkin' list,

add != commit

Eclipse probably detects the files as unknown (which is correct) and offers
to add them (which is debatable). Maybe this behaviour is also configurable?

I tried to figure out how to reconfigure eclipse to get around this - without success.

Besides all the eclipse specific stuff. The problem is primary caused by absolutely unecessary, emptry directories which should never have been added to cvs at all. So what about a bit housekeeping which means in this case simply to remove them the hard way on the server?? That is a point this list (well, couple of people, inclusive Sven) did already agreed to. IMHO this discussion seems to me a bit like a waste of time ?

Greetings, lexA.

HTH,
Michael